Greek Meat Rolls in Tomato-Wine Sauce
Accompany with a Greek-style salad sprinkled with feta cheese and olives!
ground beef, lean
dry white toast, crumbled, or equivalent in bread or panko crumbs
pressed, 1 large clove
steamed, white or brown (we prefer brown)
(I use chicken or beef broth as part of it)
(I usually add more)
- Mix beef, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, egg, sugar, salt, cumin, pepper, and water until well blended and firm.
- With hands moistened in cold water, shape rounded tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into 3" long fingerlike rolls.
- Coat rolls lightly in flour.
- in large deep skillet, heat ¾ inch oil to 400℉ (200℃).
- Brown rolls a few at a time in hot oil.
- With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add to prepared Tomato Wine Sauce.
- Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and serve over rice.
- Garnish with parsley.
Directions for Tomato Wine Sauce 1. In Dutch oven, whisk or stir vigorously the ingredients for the sauce until smooth.