Brown Butter Maple Cookies
or whipping cream, as necessary
- To brown the butter, melt butter in a small, heavy saucepan over low heat.
When fully melted, increase heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the butter turns a medium brown and smells nutty.
Measure out 1 cup to use for cookies and reserve the rest for the filling.
Refrigerate until firm but not solid, about 30 minutes.
- For cookies, heat oven to 325℉ (160℃).
Have ready a cookie press and ungreased baking sheets.
- Beat the 1 cup brown butter with ½ cup of the confectioners' sugar until creamy.
Add egg and egg yolks and mix to combine.
Stop mixer and add flour; mix on low speed just until flour disappears.
- Transfer dough to a cookie press and press onto baking sheet Bake until set, 16 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For filling, cook maple syrup in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over high heat for 5 minutes. Cool to lukewarm then stir in remaining ½ cup confectioners' sugar. Beat the reserved brown butter in a food processor or a small bowl of electric mixer until light. Add the syrup mixture and beat until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a small amount of milk or cream until it is spreadable.
- Assemble cookies by spreading about ½ teaspoon filling on flat side of half the cookies. Sandwich with another cookie.