** Make no substitutions ** Assemble ingredients and let stand at room temp for 1 hour.
- Set oven at 275 degrees.
- Use 2 (9 inch) springform pans or 2 (9x5) loaf pans; or use Grease pans and line with brown paper cut to fit, then grease paper.
- Cut 3 (7 oz.) pkgs. pitted dates and 1 lb. candied pine- apple into coarse pieces. Put in large bowl. Add 1 lb. whole candied cherries.
- Put 2 cup sifted flour into sifter. Add 2 teaspoon baking powder and ½ t. salt. Sift onto fruit.
- Mix fruits and dry ingredients well with fingers, separ- ating 6. With electric beater, beat 4 eggs until frothy.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar; beat until blended.
- Add fruit mixture, mix well with a large spoon.
- Add 2 lbs. (8 cups) pecan halves. Mix with hands until nuts are evenly distributed, and are coated with batter.
- Pack into pans, pressing down with fingers. If necessary rearrange pieces of fruit and nuts to fill up any empty andgt;andgt; spaces.
- Bake springform cakes about 1 hour and 15 minutes. loaf cakes 1 hour and 30 minutes. When done, tops of cakes should look dry. If there is any doubt. leave cakes in oven a few minutes longer, as a little extra baking does no harm.
- When cakes are done, remove from oven and let stand on cake racks about 5 minutes. Then turn out on racks and carefully pull off paper.
- Cool cakes, and turn top side up.