Mushroom Tomato Barley Soup
This delicious earthy soup is perfect for a chilly fall dinner!
1 cup barley (can be found in dried bean department)
1-2# mushrooms, sliced. (Food processor sliced is fine.)
1-2 large onions, peeled, quartered, and sliced
6 can condensed chicken broth (may need to add more depending upon how many mushrooms and onions you use)
2 can chopped, stewed tomatoes
2 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
Salt/ pepper and Tabasco (to taste)
Madeira or Dry Sherry
- Sauté onions in olive oil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms, stir, cover, and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add chicken broth and stewed tomatoes. Stir and simmer for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add tomato paste and water to make it very soupy.
- Add barley, cover and simmer on low for one hour (until barley is cooked)
- Stir periodically during the hour to make sure barley is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When barley is done, taste the soup and adjust the seasonings. Add Madeira or sherry to taste.
Other method: Cook barley in chicken broth in a separate pan until done. Add barley to the other ingredients and simmer on low for about 20 minutes to marry the flavors.
Beer Biscuits make a delicious addition to the meal. Make Bisquick Biscuits according to package instructions but substitute beer for the liquid in the recipe. Bake according to package instructions and serve warm with butter!