Squid Stuffed with Ricotta and Spinach
about 2 pounds
fresh, trimmed of stems and washed, or 1/2, package frozen, thawed
coarse and freshly, ground pepper to taste
italian plum (roma) tomatoes
SQUID STUFFED WITH RICOTTA AND SPINACH Do not overstuff the squid or they may split while they cook.
Rice and braised fennel go well with this dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉ (190℃). Clean the squid and chop the tentacles finely.
Set them aside.
- Sauté the onion and the garlic in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil Add the tentacles and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and sauté, stirring, until it has wilted. Drain off any extra liquid and cool the spinach.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, parsley, and the Mix thoroughly and season with salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes.
- Stuff the mixture loosely into the squid and close the openings 5. Use the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to grease a comfortably in one layer. Arrange the squid in the dish and add the wine and tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper and more hot pepper flakes, if you wish.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the squid is tender and the If there is too much sauce, raise the oven temperature and allow the liquid to reduce. If there is too little, add more white wine. Serve the squid with lemon quarters. Yield: 4 servings.