Mom’s Cheater Gumbo (Easy to make, delicious to eat!!!)
A bowl of New Orleans deliciousness!! Great served with Beer Biscuits!
2-3 stalks celery
1 each of red, yellow, and orange bell peppers
1-2 cups cooked chicken breast or thigh meat, cut in bite-sized pieces. (We prefer the more flavorful thigh meat)
1 package of Turkey Smoked Sausage
4 cans condensed chicken broth
2-3 cans chopped tomatoes in juice (Do not drain)
Creole or Cajun seasoning to taste
1 package frozen Gumbo vegetables or some other variety that includes okra and corn.
Cleaned, peeled shrimp
Long grain white rice, cooked according to package instructions.
- Chop coarsely the onions, celery, and peppers and sauté in olive oil until tender, but not soft. Don't overcook!
- Add 1 to 2 cups cooked chicken.
- Add 1 package of turkey smoked sausage, sliced (I like spicy)
- Add condensed chicken broth and chopped, stewed tomatoes (I like Ready Cut)
- Add Creole or Cajun seasonings to taste (I use lots!!)
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- To soup, add 1 package of Frozen Gumbo vegetables
- Simmer another ten minutes until veggies and liquid are very hot.
- Add cleaned and peeled jumbo shrimp – as much as you want or can afford!
- Heat well…DO NOT BOIL Correct seasonings Serve in a bowl with a big spoonful of rice
Beer Biscuits Prepare Bisquick biscuits according to package instructions except exchange beer for the water in the recipe. Bake as indicated on recipe.