Judi's Tomato Florentine Soup
A southwest version of a classic American tomato soup. Serve with cornbread or garlic toast!!
Turkey Italian Sausage (I like hot) removed from casing and sautéed, drained of fat, rinsed.
1 large red or yellow onion, chopped
Red and green bell peppers, chopped
1 -16 oz. jar of chunky salsa
2 large cans of condensed tomato soup
1-2 cans of Petite Diced tomatoes (I like with Jalapenos)
½ cup or more of chopped parsley
1 T. or more oregano (fresh is best)
Salt, Pepper, and hot sauce to taste
Fresh baby spinach, cleaned
Cooked small noodle (like small shells), if desired.
- Saute, drain and rinse sausage. Leave in colander to drain.
- Sauté onions, peppers, and mushrooms. If any olive oil is standing in the bottom, drain it off.
- Add meat back to pan.
- Add all ingredients except the spinach.
- Simmer on medium for ½ hour to marry the flavors
- About 5 minutes before serving, add cooked noodles and spinach and cook on low just until noodles are hot and spinach is limp. Don’t overcook soup with spinach in it. Much better almost al dente.