The new guidelines point out that obesity is the No.1 public health nutrition problem in the U.S. and actually give good advice about what to do about it: eat less and eat better. For the first time, the guidelines make it clear that eating less has its priority.
• Enjoy your food, but eat less.
• Avoid oversized portions.
Foods to Increase
• Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
• Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1 percent) milk.
Foods to Reduce
• Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals—and choose the foods with lower numbers.
• Drink water instead of sugary drinks.