The Secret to Great Pizza is Finally Revealed
The best-kept secret has finally been revealed. The world will finally know how to make a great pizza. No more struggling to get the sauce right. You do not have to worry about getting the dough perfect or the crust baked just right. Joe’s New York Pizza, who received the Best of Las Vegas award for best pizza by online users for 2014, is going to show you how to make a great pizza.
To begin, we will discuss how to create the perfect crust and dough. You will need these ingredients:
1 1/3 cups of lukewarm water
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons to grease the bowl
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
2 cups bread or all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
1 envelope active dry yeast
1. Add flour, honey, yeast, and salt to the bowl of a food processor or electric mixer and process to combine. Add water and 2 tablespoons of oil and continue to process until dough forms a ball. If the dough feels sticky, add more flour, but only 1 tablespoon at a time. If the dough becomes too dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
2. Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until you have a smooth, elastic ball. It should take about 5 minutes.
3. Form dough into a smooth ball and place in a large bowl greased with the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap an dset aside until dough doubles in size, which will take about 1 hour. Cut risen dough in half. Knead each half briefly and then shape into a ball. Then place the two balls on a lightly floured surface and cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Let the dough rest for 1 hour at room temperature or in the refrigerator up to 24 hour. If refrigerated, let dough come to room temperature before continuing on.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll out and your hands to stretch each ball into a circle 12-14 inches in diameter. If the dough becomes too elastic, place it in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to relax before continuing.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees and place the rack as low as possible in the oven. Lightly oil a 14-16-inch pizza pan or a very large baking sheet and lay uncooked crust on top. You can roll the edges if you want to form a rim.
Now we will go over how to create great tasting tomato sauce and how to apply the toppings: You will need
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 large cloves garlic minced 1½ cups canned whole peeled tomatoes ½ cup torn basil leaves 4 ounces fresh mozzarella thinly sliced ½ teaspoon oregano Salt and freshly ground black pepper *** Optional: 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or red pepper flakes
- In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat, add the minced garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1½ cups canned whole peeled tomatoes, crushing them as they go into the pan, then throw in ¼ cup torn basil leaves. Boil, making sure to stir frequently, until a thick sauce forms. This should take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spread a layer of sauce over the rolled-out crust, top with another ½ cup of torn basil leaves and 4 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese. It is okay if you have leftover sauce. Drizzle 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkel with ½ teaspoon oregano and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- ** You can add 3 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan and red pepper flakes for added flavor.
- Put pizza in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden and done to your liking.
There you have it. Steps to make a great pizza right in your own home. The next time you are craving pizza you can make it yourself with confidence!