Grandma Fab's Shanghai Meatball Soup
This is a recipe given to me by my beloved, late mother-in-law. It is a really tasty Asian soup recipe.
1# turkey sausage or ground turkey. (We like the spicy turkey sausage)
3/4 c. uncooked quick oatmeal or panko crumbs
1 T. dry sherry (optional)
1/2-1 tsp white pepper
1 T. soy sauce (I used more)
2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
4 cans reduced salt chicken broth
2 cups water
1-1/2 cup halved pea pods or 1 pkg (6 oz) frozen pea pods thawed and cut in half.
1 pkg bean sprouts
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1/2 - bag of frozen Chinese veggies
1 pkg Ramen style noodles, cooked as directed and drained.
Sliced green onions and cilantro to top as soup is served.
- Spray rack of broiler pan or sauté pan with Pam.
- Combine turkey sausage, oatmeal or panko crumbs, soy sauce, sherry, oil, and pepper with ½ cup chicken broth. Mix well.
- Shape into 1 inch meatballs, and sauté or broil 7 to 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- In large soup pot, combine remaining chicken broth and water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add cooked meatballs, and all veggies EXCEPT bean sprouts. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add bean sprouts and noodles and simmer another minute.
- Taste and add additional soy sauce or red chile paste, to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkling of green onions and cilantro.