|3 1/4||teaspoons||yeast, active dry|
1. Insert ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove the dough from the machine after the first knead - approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 8 parts. Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.
3. While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Drop test dough (see hints below).
4. Using a slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on each side for 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.
5. Bake at 400 on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden - approximately 15 minutes.
First published: 1996-01-27 last updated: 2013-04-21
Search for top chefs by name
Chat and participate with others in our online recipe and cooking related discussion groups.
Looking for a long lost recipe?
Post a recipe request and our community will help hunt it down for you.
Recipe Tips, Advice and How To Guides along with informative commentary about food and recipe preparation.
Helpful articles about how to cook, cooking, food and recipes....55 articles Laurie's Word on Herbs
Laurie resides in Nova Scotia, Canada. With Italian roots, her love for cooking ...51 articles Mark R. Vogel
Mark R. Vogel received his doctorate in clinical psychology from Yeshiva Universi...117 articles