- I am looking for the recipe for Mary Starr's cornbread dressing. You use cream of chicken soup instead of chicken stock.
I found this one and it got 5 stars at every persons review..
Martha's Cornbread Dressing
By: Kim Benton
"A truly 'Deep South' cornbread dressing. My Mom's of course!"
Martha's Cornbread Dressing
Yield 10 to 12 servings
1 (3 pound) whole chicken
10 cups crumbled cornbread
8 biscuits, crumbled
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground sage
8 eggs, beaten
1. Place chicken in a small pot with enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is done.
2. Remove chicken from pot, set aside to cool. Remove skin and bones; chop meat and save for dressing. Strain, and reserve broth.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. In a large bowl, combine cornbread, biscuits, chicken soup, onion, celery, salt, pepper, sage and eggs. Stir well. 30 minutes before baking, add a desired amount of reserved chicken and enough broth to soak dressing. Place dressing in two 4 quart casserole dishes.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until top is browned and center is firm.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 470 | Total Fat: 29.7g | Cholesterol: 251mgPowered by ESHA Nutrient Database
Cornbread Dressing (Easy & Moist!)
3-4 Cups Shredded Turkey (can substitute chicken or omit entire)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 quarts cornbread
2 tablespoons dried sage
1 medium onion, chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup (one stick) margarine, melted
3-4 cups broth (from your turkey or canned)
1.Set aside one can cream of chicken soup and the turkey (or chicken). In large bowl, crumble cornbread and add all other ingredients. Stir until well mixed. In bottom of 6 quart slow cooker, spread half the remaining can of cream of chicken soup. Top with 1/3 of the dressing mixture and 1/2 of the meat. Add another 1/3 of the dressing and remaining meat, then the remaining dressing. Spread the rest of the cream of chicken soup over top. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Serve hot.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by ZipList Recipe Plugin
Starr Recipes From Greystone (Ring-bound)
by Mary Starr (Author) $34.95
‹ Return to product information
Always pay through Amazon.com's Shopping Cart or 1-Click.
Learn more about Safe Online Shopping and our safe buying guarantee.
Found My Cookbook
Mary Starr Cookbook from Greystone
Chicken and Dressing Casserole
Brown chicken pieces in shortening.
Make dresing as follows:
Melt one stick butter, chop one cup celery, onion
to make 1 cup. Cook to soft:
When tender, mix well with:
2 cups bread crumbs
2 cups cornbread crumbles
1 teaspoon sage or poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 can cream of chicken soup
Add enough water to make moist as you desire.
Place dressing in large baking dish.
Arrange browned chicken over dressing.
Make gravy from chicken pan drippings, and blend well with 1/2 can condensed soup adding enough water to make 2 cups..
Pour gravy over chicken and dressing.
Bake 1 hour at 350.