Curry Bean Soup
If you are bored with the typical bean and ham hock soup recipe, you are in for a great surprise. This delicious soup is wonderful served with the Curried Spinach Salad recipe in the Salad section of this cookbook.
Curried Bean Soup
1- 16 oz. package dried lima beans
2 onions, chopped
Chicken broth (I like to use part condensed for a richer flavor; skim fat off the top.)
5 carrots sliced
Sliced mini peppers (in rings)
Rutabaga, chopped (Optional)
1-3 T. olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
3 T. curry powder
- Soak beans overnight in water or cover with water and boil for 3 minutes and let sit for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and put back in pan; Cover with rich chicken broth
- Add chopped onions to beans and simmer for 1½ hours until beans are tender.
- In last 15 minutes, add carrots, rutabaga, and mini pepper rings.
- In last 10 minutes, heat olive oil in a small fry pan. Add spices and sauté for one minute to develop the flavors.
- Take 2 cups of bean “juice” and add to the fry pan with the sauces. Stir to remove spices from the bottom of the pan and add all to the soup pot.
- Simmer another 10 to 15 minutes to blend all the flavors.
- Even better the 2nd day.