Corn and Potato Chowder
This delicious recipe is great served with hot corn bread from the oven and a salad.
Smoked bacon (thick sliced is best) cut into 1 inch pieces
1# potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 c. chicken broth (I added more and use condensed)
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 c. skim milk at room temperature (May want to add more)
1- 2 T. cornstarch
1T kosher salt
3 c. fresh corn kernels (3-5 ears, cut from cob)
½ to 1 c. diced yellow and red peppers
2 T. thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
¼ tsp pepper, or to taste
6 drops liquid red pepper
Chopped cilantro and grated cheddar cheese to put on top of soup when serving.
- Cook bacon. Or use Hormel Black Label bacon, already cooked (Can be found at Costco)
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic; stir to coat with fat.
- Add chicken broth and pepper flakes. Simmer until potatoes are tender
- Stir 2 tablespoon milk into corn starch. Add remaining milk and cornstarch mixture and salt.
- Add corn and peppers. Simmer until veggies are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients; serve immediately with chopped cilantro and grated cheese.