French Cabbage and Bean Soup with ham and potatoes
French cabbage and bean soup-- An aromatic classic from southwestern France.
5 ounces dried white beans
1 large onion
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
4 sprig marjoram
1 ham bone (or 1 slice of bacon)
1 1/2 pounds green cabbage
14 ounces waxy potatoes
4 slice crusty bread
- Soak beans in cold water overnight (at least 12 hours).
- The next day, drain the beans through a colander, rinse and put into a pot.
- Peel the onion, pierce with bay leaf and cloves and add to the pot with the beans.
- Peel the garlic and add to the pot. Rinse marjoram and shake dry. Add marjoram, ham bone and 3 liters (approximately 12 cups) of water to the pot.
- Bring to boil and skim off rising foam with a skimmer. Turn down heat to medium and soup for 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse the cabbage, remove the core and cut into quarters crosswise. Cut quarters into strips 1 cm (approximately 1/2 inch) wide.
- Rinse potatoes, peel with a vegetable peeler and cut into 2 cm (approximately 3/4 inch) cubes.
- After 60 minutes, remove ham bone. Add cabbage and potatoes to the soup and cook for another 20 minutes.
- See Full Recipe Please Go To http://eatsmarter.com/recipes/french-cabbage-and-bean-soup