Chinese Hot and Sour Pork Soup
We love the Hot and Sour soup at Lettuce Wok 'n Roll, our local Chinese restaurant, and this is my attempt to re-create their delicious concoction. Sorry that the amounts are inexact. I didn't measure very carefully when I started making the soup.
8 cups rich chicken broth
1 can condensed chicken broth
1/3# raw pork or sausage. (If using loin meat, julienne. If using sausage, saute before adding to soup)
2 T. each minced garlic and red chile paste (I ended up adding much more of the red chile paste)
2-4 T. soy sauce. (Start with less and add more to taste)
3 T. corn starch stirred into 2 T. water
1/2 to 1 cup bamboo shoots, julienned
1/2 - 1 cup coarsely chopped water chestnuts
1/2 cup julienned carrots
1 cup shitake mushrooms, sliced and stems removed
1 cup dried wood ear mushrooms, soaked in warm water, and sliced. (I used more, because we like them more than shitake)
1 12 oz package of firm tofu, cut into slices about 1/2" by 1"
1/4 cup white vinegar (I used more, to taste)
1-2 tsp white pepper
1-2 tsp sesame oil (I used more and used La Yu chili oil)
Chopped green onions and cilantro
- Bring chicken stock to simmer
- Add soy sauce, pork (raw julienned loin or cooked sausage), mushrooms, and chile paste. Simmer 10 minutes
- Add pepper, vinegar, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and tofu. Simmer 5 minutes
- Add cornstarch and water mixture
- Bring back to a simmer, and add julienned carrots.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and add sesame oil.
- Taste and adjust flavor by addition more vinegar, soy sauce, chile paste, or pump up chicken flavor with a packet or two of Chicken Flavor Burst.
- Serve with chopped onions and cilantro on top of hot soup.
Cook's Note: I saw some recipes which called for dried lily buds, but couldn't find them and didn't think the soup was less for not having that ingredient. Also, some recipes had you drizzle in ½ cup of egg substitute, as you would for egg drop soup. I elected NOT to do that.
This soup will be a work in progress, but my husband proclaimed my first attempt as "Absolutely Delicious!" I hope you like it, too!!!