Various substitutions when baking or using flour in recipes and replacing sugar with other ingredients. Ideas about how to bake with more whole grains.
Replace 1 cup white flour with:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coarse corn meal
- 7/8 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups rye flour
- 5/8 csup potato flour
- 1 1/2 cups ground rolled oats or
- 1/2 c barley flour.
Adjustment may be needed in amount of liquid (usually more will be needed) and shortening (usually less is needed) when baking with whole grains.
For Thickening Sauces
(and other dishes)
Replace 1 tablespoon white flour with:
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 tablespoon potato flour or starch
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot
Replace 1 cup sugar with:
- 1 cup molasses + 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (omit baking powder)
- 3/4 c honey (reduce liquid 1/4 c)
- 3/4 c maple syrup (reduce liquid 2 Tb)