Sunshine Lemon Cooler Cookies
Saved in 6 recipe boxes
Crisp and tangy little cookies, reminiscent of the ones Sunshine used to make.
|1/2||cup||granulated sugar replacement||*|
|1 1/2||cups||cake flour|
|1 1/2||teaspoons||baking powder|
|1||tablespoon||lemon juice||freshly squeezed|
|4||each||crystallized||lemon, small packets True Lemon, or 1 Tbs. unsweetened lemonade powder*|
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and kosher salt; set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the shortening, sugars, egg, lemon extract and zest. Add the flour mixture and mix until well combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl with a spatula; add the lemon juice. Continue to mix until all is well incorporated. Cover the bowl and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate for at least one hour. This will make the dough easier to work with.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
4. With a melon baller, scoop out dough and form into approximately 3/4"-1" balls. Place on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets (about 25 balls per sheet - bake one sheet at a time on middle rack of oven ). Bake for 14-16 minutes, until edges of cookies are very lightly browned.
5. While cookies are baking, make the coating by combining the powdered sugar and lemon crystals/lemonade powder in a shallow bowl.
6. While cookies are still warm, gently toss them in the coating, pressing in lightly to coat well. Place on rack and cool completely.
NOTE: Dough may be refrigerated for 2-3 days, or frozen up to 1 month (tightly wrapped and placed in an airtight container).
First published: 2012-03-22 last updated: 2014-12-17