Biscuits& Sausage Gravy
Saved in 18 recipe boxes and 12 cookbooks
|1||d||red hot pepper sauce (eg. Tabasco)||*|
|1||can||biscuit dough||ready to bake*|
1. Place sausage in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small chunks with a fork, until cooked, about 10 minutes.
2. Add onion; cook until soft and transparent, about 4 minutes. Drain, discarding all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Return skillet to heat.
3. Sprinkle flour over sausage and stir to coat. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring until flour forms a golden-brown crust on the bottom of the skillet, about 3 minutes.
4. Add milk, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes, scraping up and incorporating the browned crust from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep warm.
5. Bake biscuits according to package directions.
6. To serve, split biscuits crosswise and place on individual plates. Ladle hot sausage gravy over biscuits and serve immediately.
First published: 1996-01-27 last updated: 2013-04-20