|1||d||red hot pepper sauce (eg. Tabasco)||*|
|1||can||biscuit dough||ready to bake*|
1. Place sausage in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring and breaking the sausage into small chunks with a fork, until cooked, about 10 minutes.
2. Add onion; cook until soft and transparent, about 4 minutes. Drain, discarding all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Return skillet to heat.
3. Sprinkle flour over sausage and stir to coat. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring until flour forms a golden-brown crust on the bottom of the skillet, about 3 minutes.
4. Add milk, poultry seasoning, nutmeg, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes, scraping up and incorporating the browned crust from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep warm.
5. Bake biscuits according to package directions.
6. To serve, split biscuits crosswise and place on individual plates. Ladle hot sausage gravy over biscuits and serve immediately.
First published: 1996-01-27 last updated: 2013-04-20
Search for top chefs by name
Chat and participate with others in our online recipe and cooking related discussion groups.
Looking for a long lost recipe?
Post a recipe request and our community will help hunt it down for you.
Recipe Tips, Advice and How To Guides along with informative commentary about food and recipe preparation.
Helpful articles about how to cook, cooking, food and recipes....55 articles Laurie's Word on Herbs
Laurie resides in Nova Scotia, Canada. With Italian roots, her love for cooking ...51 articles Mark R. Vogel
Mark R. Vogel received his doctorate in clinical psychology from Yeshiva Universi...117 articles